Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sting is phenomenal.

I went a little nutso on iTunes today and downloaded $25 worth of Sting songs. The entire 'Fields of Gold' cd is fantastic, as is the holiday album I didn't know about that I now own. "Shape of my Heart" and "I'm so Happy that I Can't Stop Crying" were two I had forgotten and I happily spent the day reacquainting myself with them.

There is one song that I found on his new album, 'Symphonicities.' Clearly it is an older song, but I had never heard it. "Why Should I Cry for You" is performed by Sting with a symphonic accompaniment. It is amazing. Such a beautiful, simple song taken to another level with the added harmonies and rich sounds of a symphony.

I have always loved Sting. One of my favorite songs is "They Dance Alone." The sax soloist parallels Sting's voice and its haunting sound echoes the somber message of the song, which is that women are left alone when their fathers, brothers, husbands, and sons die in war.


A few years ago, I realized how diverse Sting is after I listened to a few of his more artistic, to say the least, songs.

"Fill her up" How does an artist blend country, gospel, pop, and jazz into one song and make it work?

(cheesy video. Couldn't get a live version that I liked)

"Tomorrow We'll See" Sting has become a transvestite hooker in this song. I don't know why, but it just works.

(again, cheesy video, but I'm certain there wasn't an MTV one for this)

"Ghost Story" Everytime I hear this song, I am overcome with emotion and can't sing the end.


I have never heard an artist who is more diverse, more comfortable in his skin, more humble, and more talented. Maybe he shouldn't have split from the Police. I know what they had was amazing, but what he has done since is nothing short of brilliance. His looks aren't so bad either.

I am so sad that I didn't suck it up and go hear him when he was in ATL a few weeks ago. I know that I will have to make it a life goal to hear him live. Maybe he'll see me and decide he can't live without me.

For the record, I have a huge red burn below my right eyebrow. I hope it disappears soon. I am anticipating the many stares and well-wishes from anyone and everyone who sees me.

L

No comments:

Post a Comment