Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Some things are better left to be done in the beauty salon.

Today, I decided it would be a good idea to wax my eyebrows and give myself a pedicure.

I had already bought the supplies thinking that I would save the fam a little money by doing all necessary "beauty management" at home. I figured that on average, waxing and pedicures cost about $40 a month. Surely, if I spent close to $100 on all of the supplies, in the long run I would save money...

Well, I heated the wax, got out the applicator, and applied the wax to my eyebrow. I had done this at home once before and had no problem at all. I even got the arch right. This time, however, was a little different. I don't know if the wax wasn't hot enough or if I didn't let it get dry on my brow, but I ended up with wax on my eyelash and a huge red irritated spot below both eyes. There are still stray hairs that won't come out and when I put on the post-waxing cooling gel, it stung so bad I had to wipe it off.

All this to say, some things are better left to the professionals. I am good at many things, but not this. Furthermore, who am I to deny some sweet woman the $30 it costs to take away my unibrow and give me peace? I figure that I'm stimulating the economy by continuing to pay for these services.

I know that waxing and pedicures are vain. Women spend so much money and time on themselves that they sometime fail to see their own inner beauty. However, there is something to be said for a perfectly arched brow and nice looking toes. I'm not talking about a boob job, just a little grooming here and there. If anything, it gives us a break from our busy lives and makes us feel like women. In a houseful of boys, I really need that.

As for the pedicure, I am off to my favorite nail place now...

L

No comments:

Post a Comment