Tuesday, July 20, 2010

I don't like acrylic nails.

I don't know why I don't like acrylic nails. Isn't that sad? Clearly there is a market for them and many women love them, but I don't. Maybe it's because it is very obvious that they are not real. Maybe it's because I have had them once and know what it involves to keep them looking nice or maybe it's because people seem to get them for major events and then let them go. For whatever reason, it seems a colossal waste of time and money to pay for something that is going to need constant care and repeat treatments.

Speaking of repeat treaments, waxing is something that I like and I can't figure out why I hold it to a higher standard than acrylic nails. I guess I would rather not have a unibrow or eyebrows with tons of stray hairs underneath than to have beautiful fingernails.

Being a woman in this society is so tiring. If you're not worrying about your nails, then you're worrying about your eyebrows. If not your eyebrows, then it's your toes. If not your toes, then it's your hair. Don't even get me started on the amount of money one could spend on hair care: Especially when I have recently realized my hair is not a light brown-blondish anymore.

I used to have the lightest hair, eyebrows and eyelashes. Throughout the years, my hair has become darker, but my need to maintain my hair color has not wained. So what do I get? I get great highlights on the front of my head and really dark hair (my true hair) in the back. Maybe I should go to full foils and jack my price at the salon up 25% more. I think not.

Secretly, though, I really just want to be myself. I think I will keep waxing my eyebrows, getting my hair cut, and getting pedicures because it makes me happy. As for my nails, any money I spend on them will be negated the next day due to my tendancy to be a clumsy oaf. I think I will become a natural brunette, instead of an obviously highlighted blond, and I will try to remember that there is still a place for beauty on the inside.

I will give in to coloring my grays a subtle brunette, though. That will be acceptable.

L

No comments:

Post a Comment