Sunday, September 8, 2013

that accepting Christ can happen in many different ways.

It happens every time. I am sitting in church and someone chooses that day, time, and parish to accept Jesus into his/her life.  I try to repeat what is on page 34 of the hymnal, but I am so moved by this choice, that I can't even repeat my responses because of the huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

Usually it is a child who is being baptized. That child has a family and friends to celebrate this big day in the life of a Christian. The family has prepared and given loved ones sufficient notice of this very important date. These are usually babies, who have no idea of the commitment they are making. Their parents are following the Methodist tradition, a beautiful tradition, that saves them until they are ready to make their own commitments to God as a young adult.

Today, though, I witnessed something very different. A woman, whom I had not met, came forward during the final hymn to join our church. She was alone and clearly had not let anyone know her intentions of joining on this day. Usually, people transfer their faith from another parish or denomination. This woman was different.  She had no one to stand with her and she had not been baptized. She chose this particular moment to accept Christ and join our church without any prior notice.

I was overcome with emotion. From the time she walked to the front of the church during the last hymn, through the helpers running to retrieve water for the unannounced baptism, through the baptism itself-seeing her standing alone, and finally to the prayer that affirmed to her that we will support her as a family, I was moved.

Usually there is much pomp and circumstance surrounding this life-changing experience. Today, there was no pomp, no circumstance, and no personal witness this woman brought with her. It was very simple and unceremonious, which was the reason why I found myself humbled to witness such a beautiful scene.

God reveals himself to us when we least expect it. I felt very close to Him today. For that, I am thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Leigh: This is one of the most wonderful reflections I've read in a long time. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete